The American University in Vietnam (AUV) is a new and innovative private university located in Da Nang, Vietnam. This is the first American style university providing students an innovative liberal arts curricula instructed by an international faculty with pathways to American University short-term experiences, concurrent degrees and graduate programs in America or completing these in Vietnam. AUV is conducting a search for the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs. The university invites applications for this executive academic officer who will continue to advance the institution to its full potential.
The Leadership Opportunity
The Provost and Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs (Provost) serves as AUV’s chief academic officer. Reporting to the University Chancellor, this executive-level position provides leadership and integrity in the areas of academic program development, curriculum, evidence-based research, and organizational effectiveness. This officer promotes shared governance and develops and oversees academic policies and instructional delivery in support of the University’s mission.
As a member of the Chancellor’s cabinet, the Provost plays a central role in institutional decisions and coordinates with academic affairs constituents to create and support an academic vision of excellence for the University. All academic colleges, departments and programs report to the Provost.
The American University in Vietnam (AUV)
Launched in 2017, The American University in Vietnam is a distinctive University providing American higher education for students in Vietnam and beyond. AUV is ideal for those who thrive in an active-project based instruction and curricular approach delivered by a strong interdisciplinary faculty. The small-class and experiential learning format prepares students for careers through direct linkages with industry and government employers. The AUV curricula is designed following an American interdisciplinary liberal arts format instructed in English. Before students begin their majors, they must first demonstrate proficiency in communication and presentation skills, critical thinking and analytical skills through an integrated and comprehensive general curricula in natural sciences, math and statistics, data analytics, visual and performing arts, humanities, and social sciences with a culminating capstone experience.
Our students have unique opportunities to experience transnational university life in Vietnam and the U.S. through a growing number of partnership programs with some of the top American universities, including: Arizona State University, Virginia Commonwealth University, University of Missouri, and others. Students can complete short-term study abroad programs or can complete their studies through 2+2, 3+1 partner programs for undergraduate degrees and 2+3 and 4+1 program collaborations at the graduate level. AUV is distinctive in many ways as reflected in the values its faculty upholds in the process of educating future professionals, entrepreneurs, artists, executives, and leaders. Our distinction is embedded in our mission, in our values, and in our faculty’s academic focus.
Campus and Surrounding Community:
The American University is located on the Central Coast to the East with beautiful mountains to the West and North surrounding the city. Da Nang is the fifth largest city in Vietnam with approximately one million residents. Da Nang brings a warm and friendly culture with beautiful
sandy beaches, mountains, and historical sites such as the Hoi An Ancient City. This is one of the most important ports in the country and has a growing tourism, high-technology, and finance sector growth providing students and faculty opportunities for research and scholarship. The AUV campus is designed with a French Architectural design with a natural setting of trees, streams and ponds providing a relaxing and comfortable environment for students. New dorms and athletic fields and facilities are in the planning and construction phase to provide students a unique residential environment. The campus is a short ride to the beaches or downtown to the city center of Da Nang City.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
The Provost is responsible for putting into action all academic policies, including those affecting faculty appointments, development, promotions and tenure. In the President’s absence, the Provost serves as the chief executive officer of the University. The Provost will play a principal role in shaping and guiding the University as it expands services both academically and within the surrounding communities. Opportunities will include further development of undergraduate and graduate offerings, managing and directing the University’s accreditation process, and enhancing offerings through dual enrollment and online services.
The Provost should foster a vibrant and empowered learning community through a proven leadership style that evokes trust, welcomes collaboration, promotes shared governance and reflects confident decision-making. The Provost also works extensively with and represents
AUV to representatives of the local community, the University, and other public agencies important to the University.
The Provost has broad, delegated responsibility for the overall excellence and vitality of the University’s academic life and its programs. This senior officer will:
• Promote academic excellence and innovation by supporting academic rigor, transcurricular learning, global engagement and technological innovation.
• Inspire and collaborate with faculty and other University leaders to enhance the university’s academic programs, its internationalization and diversity, its programs promoting learning beyond the classroom (including undergraduate research and service learning), its living and learning residential communities, and its pedagogical and technological innovation.
• Identify new support opportunities for faculty scholarship, creative activity and funded research.
• Participate in the recruitment and development of talented and diverse faculty and staff who are invested in the University’s mission and its students.
• Actively participate in the recruitment of academically talented and diverse undergraduate students and promote programs that contribute to students’ overall success and retention.
• Lead and participate in a collaborative administrative team that models institutional values of cooperation, collegiality and cohesion.
• Support diverse academic solutions and models across a varied academic environment.
• Influence national education policy by serving as the University’s liaison to the AUV Executive Advisory Board and to the Vietnamese Ministries.
• Foster an atmosphere of appreciation of diversity in the broadest sense of the term.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
The successful candidate must have:
• Knowledge and experience in an academic setting, including curriculum and instruction, research and scholarly activity, accreditation, admissions and financial aid, and academic support services.
• Demonstrated ability to manage a complex academic organization, to work effectively with colleagues across divisions and programs, and to effectively lead and support a strong administrative team.
• Effective administrative experience in higher education that includes planning, faculty development, budgeting, and resource development.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including a sense of humor, and decision-making abilities that enable engagement and interaction with the various constituencies.
• A commitment to promoting excellence and diversity in the recruitment, retention, and development of students, faculty, and staff.
• A significant record of full-time collegiate teaching experience, research and service commensurate with the attainment of senior academic rank in a higher education institution.
• Demonstrated ability to develop, maintain, and manage a quality faculty and rigorous academic programs and policies.
• Demonstrated experience in the development and management of curriculum.
• Demonstrated experience in academic program assessment and the development and implementation of continuous improvement strategies.
• Demonstrated knowledge of regional accreditation standards and experience working with accrediting organizations.
• Demonstrated commitment to student centered programming, academic excellence, and integrity at all levels.
• Strong commitment to collegial, consultative processes and to shared governance.
Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements:
• A Ph.D. or other terminal degree from a regionally accredited college or university and a strong record of progressively responsible administrative experience in senior academic leadership roles at regionally accredited higher education institutions are required. The candidate must have a distinguished record of teaching, scholarship, service, and student engagement that would qualify the individual to be appointed to the rank of Professor.
• Extensive expertise in program and curriculum development, program review and enhancement, continuous quality improvement processes, and budget and fiscal management is required. Candidates should have a broad knowledge of the accreditation process.
Please forward the following required documents in a single PDF by April 1st: Cover Letter, Resume/ Curriculum Vitae with three references, Unofficial Transcripts.
Submit to: Mr. Bing Lee, Director of Human Resources via email: email@example.com